Pleasant Green, also known historically as the Andrews-Chesnutt House and Winston Walker House and located near Pilot Grove in Cooper County, will be the location for the summer meeting of the Boonslick Historical Society (BHS) on July 21.
The BHS meeting begins at 2 p.m. and is open to the public. Refreshments will be available. Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn chairs. Small group tours of the house will be given. The home is located on the south side of Highway 135 six miles southwest of Pilot Grove.
Pleasant Green is a two-story, five bay, classic Revival-style brick dwelling with a two-story wood frame addition. It features a front portico supported by six columns. The house also has a 1 1/2-story brick section and one-story kitchen wing. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Also on the property are historic structures, including a smokehouse and a two-pen frame building, one of several that were in the slave quarters at one time behind and east of the main house. Only this one “quarters” structure remains. A hexagonal wood-frame barn built circa 1900 is no longer standing).
The house originally was a small brick structure, then the front 2 story was added in the 1830s and the back wing was added around 1840-50. The first house was also used as a post office until the MKT railroad came through in 1872; thereafter, it was called the “post-office room,” later the “growlery.”
It is currently owned by Florence “Winky” Chesnutt Friedrichs, a seventh-generation descendant of the Walker family that originally built the house. Friedrichs is a well-known Missouri artist who works with cooper and other metals and wood to create art pieces, including copper panels with ecclesiastical themes. She also creates pen and ink drawings and oil and watercolor paintings.