Well-known cultural geographer and storyteller Larry Brown will be the featured
speaker at the Nov. 3 fall meeting of the Boonslick Historical Society at the
historic Hotel Frederick In Boonville.
Brown is a retired assistant professor of human geography at the University of Missouri-Columbia. He earned a bachelor’s degree in sociology from is the University of Nebraska, Lincoln; a master of divinity degree from Christian Theology Seminary, Indianapolis; a master’s degree in geography from the University of Missouri-Columbia; and a doctorate from the College of Education, University of Missouri-Columbia. In addition to teaching at MU, he taught at Stephens College and the Missouri School of Religion. He served as pastor of several congregations in Nebraska, Indiana and Missouri for 30 years before becoming a full-time professor.
Brown is a co-founder and current co-president of the Mid-Missouri Organization for Storytelling (MOST) centered in Columbia, former board member of the National Storytelling Network (NSN), former chair of the Storytelling In Higher Education SIG of NSN, and a member of the National Organization of Biblical Storytellers.
The fall issue of Boone’s Lick Heritage Magazine will
carry additional information about the meeting, which will begin at 5:30 p.m.
with a social hour, followed by dinner at 6:30 p.m. and then Brown’s
Pleasant Green, also known historically as the Andrews-Chesnutt House and Winston Walker House and located near Pilot Grove in Cooper County, will be the location for the summer meeting of the Boonslick Historical Society (BHS) on July 21.
The BHS meeting begins at 2 p.m. and is open to the
public. Refreshments will be available. Attendees are encouraged to bring lawn
chairs. Small group tours of the house will be given. The home is located on the
south side of Highway 135 six miles southwest of Pilot Grove.
Pleasant Green is a two-story, five bay, classic Revival-style brick dwelling with a two-story wood frame addition. It features a front portico supported by six columns. The house also has a 1 1/2-story brick section and one-story kitchen wing. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
Also on the property are historic structures, including a smokehouse and a two-pen frame building, one of several that were in the slave quarters at one time behind and east of the main house. Only this one “quarters” structure remains. A hexagonal wood-frame barn built circa 1900 is no longer standing).
The house originally was a small brick structure, then the
front 2 story was added in the 1830s and the back wing was added around 1840-50.
The first house was also used as a post office until the MKT railroad came
through in 1872; thereafter, it was called the “post-office room,” later the
It is currently
owned by Florence “Winky” Chesnutt Friedrichs, a seventh-generation descendant
of the Walker family that originally built the house. Friedrichs is a
well-known Missouri artist who works with cooper and other metals and wood to
create art pieces, including copper panels with ecclesiastical themes. She also
creates pen and ink drawings and oil and watercolor paintings.